Friday 7 March 2008

I’m So Beautiful



Can it really be twenty years since we lost the gorgeous Divine?

Possibly the most outrageously camp character ever to hit the charts, his music played in the soundtrack to my glittering coming-out years, and as such Divine was massively influential on my life - and that of many others! Where would the likes of Boy George, Leigh Bowery, Marilyn, Pete Burns, RuPaul and even Marilyn Manson have been without the shlock-gloss "f**k 'em all" attitude of this fabulous creature?

Apart from the notoriety he earned from his collaboration with John Waters in such early films as Pink Flamingos and Polyester, it was his tour-de-force as Edna Turnblad in Hairspray that earned him eternal fame and spawned the current hit musical. But my admiration for Divine was best summed up when, after complaints from viewers about his "grotesque" appearance on Top Of The Pops, far from bowing to the tabloids he immediately hit back and appeared again on the show in an even more outrageous frock singing the mega-camp hit I'm So Beautiful - a legend!




Divine on Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]