Saturday 1 August 2009

Dansende paarden, de draaimolen draait



As the countdown to our annual pilgrimage to Amsterdam for my birthday begins in earnest, I thought I'd share some of the music of the Netherlands.

As well as the obvious pleasures of the flesh and senses for which Amsterdam is notorious, there are a couple of bars that we particularly love going to - notably Montmartre and Cafe Rouge [no relation to the bistro chain over here!] - for the music. Their playlist is traditional Dutch and Eurovision oompah, sing-along stuff - combine that with daily two-for-one Happy Hours, and you'd be hard pushed to find a more enjoyable way to spend an evening. I can't wait!

The first of our best-loved Dutch singers is the wonderful Liesbeth List, the Netherlands' top chanteuse, with a triptych of her greatest hits, beginning with our very favourite Kinderen een Kwartje - all together, now!


Here, she's in a more mellow mood:


And finally, in a far more sinister frame of mind, a dramatic number from 1985:


Liesbeth List on Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]