Monday 22 August 2011

The cold-blooded murder of the English tongue


Charabanc trip


Croydon Aerodrome

So charabanc* and aerodrome are considered to be obsolete words, are they? Not here at Dolores Delargo Towers, they're not!

Read more in The Telegraph

We make every effort to promote such delicious words as palimpsest, flapdoodle and calumny, and refuse to call a turfing iron a spade...

And don't even get me started on the ruination of the spoken language!


[*charabanc is apparently a French phrase meaning "carriage with benches"]

3 comments:

  1. Flapdoodle still pops up in the crossword in the Mirror

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think Mirror readers were literate enough to have a crossword... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. miaow - saucer of Milk for table 2

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]