Sunday 4 September 2011

High flying, adored


[Ricky Martin is the one on the right]

It's finally confirmed...
Producers Hal Luftig and Scott Sanders have cast Michael Cerveris as Juan Perón, Argentine Elena Roger as Evita and Ricky Martin as Che Guevara. This new production, directed by Olivier Award winner Michael Grandage will be the first time Evita hits the [New York] stage in more than 30 years.

The play, originally written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice tells the story of the late Argentine first lady, as told from the perspective of a young Ché Guevara, the story’s narrator. It will debut next spring, 2012 on Broadway.
Read more at Broadway World

Here's Miss Roger with a rip-roaring rendition of the show's Buenos Aires:


Let's hope for a full cast transfer back to London... I'd love to see Ricky in the West End!

7 comments:

  1. I saw this the first time around, well first time of the revival but I agree - I'd like to see Ricky in the West End.

    Saw Road Show today and loved it - came home with handfuls of dollars - for theatrical purposes only :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be interesting to see if it does return with Ricky in tow, but I doubt it. As London is where Miss Roger first made her name in the show, I can't imagine why it would rush back here.

    As for Road Show, it is the most fantastic theatrical experience - glad you loved it as much as we did! Alistair wants to go and see it again this week... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Madonna = no intrest. She owns that role now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be an interesting day when Madge trod the boards of the West End again after "Up for Grabs" was panned - but as "Evita"?! It would sell bucketloads! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Up For Grabs was actually rather good in my opinion - she was basically playing herself, or a caricature of herself.

    I would see Road Show again but I'm out the next three nights - seeing Betwixt tomorrow, John Grant on Wed and Ginger Dave surprise on Thursday - his last surprise show was Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others that neither of us had head nor tail what it was about afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't sure about "Betwixt" - especially as Ellen Greene isn't in it any more. Hope your surprise for Ginger Dave turns out a bit more satisfactory - find a play with some Thai boys in it and he'll be happy! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had seen "Up For Grabs" - I only have an audio recording. But I hear she was pretty good actually, and the show was a sell out hit. Let´s face it: anything Madonna does outside of music is bound to be torn apart by the critics...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]