Wednesday 28 December 2011

The great musical round-up 2011



OK, It's that time of year when all thoughts turn to trying to remember what music "rocked our boats" during the last twelve months.

To that end, here are (in no particular order) the Dolores Delargo Towers Top Twenty Songs of 2011!

Let us open with the very cool Eastman ft Neve - Greedy Eyes, from July:


Even cooler, Jessica 6 - White Horse, from March:


Herr Styler - Snow in Paris was toast of the town here at the Towers in January:


The beautiful Sound of Arrows - Nova, first featured here in April:


A very welcome return for a gay pioneer, Darren Hayes - Black Out The Sun (here in its remixed form), from September:



Speaking of gay, gay, gay - the anthem that never was, Sir Ari Gold featuring LaBelle's Sarah Dash - Sparkle, featured here in September:


Duran Duran - Girl Panic was a fantabulosa return to form for a long-standing favourite group in November:


Continuing the theme of "welcome returns", Mari Wilson - O.I.C, released earlier in the year, was a discovery here in December:


Not something I am proud of, but I still love Selena Gomez - Love You Like A Love Song, from September:


The sleaze-tastic Traci Lords - Last Drag, from November:


A song that was shockingly ignored by everyone, Beth Ditto - I Wrote the Book, from February:


For once my taste and that of the great unwashed collided, as Example - Changed the Way You Kiss Me became the big chart-topper of the summer, featured here first in March:


A chart could not really be a chart without at least one from the UK's "great white hope": Adele - Rolling in the Deep, as featured here way back in January:


One of my fave discoveries of the year, The Young Professionals ft Uriel Yekutiel - D.I.S.C.O, from July:


The magnificent Will Young - Jealousy, returned to our arms in style in August:


A song (and an artist) that is indeed very popular round here, Eric Saade - Popular, who wuz robbed at Eurovision in May:


Speaking of "we wuz robbed", our own Euro-contender Blue - I Can, was first revealed here in March:


A close contender, and thus in the Top Three, is Martin Solveig ft Dragonette - Hello, featured here in January:


Snapping at the heels of the top slot is the anthem of our last holiday in Spain: Luciana - I'm Still Hot, which I first played on our return in February but seems to have been around for the whole year (including the infamous Betty White version):


And finally, there has to be a winner, and so at Number 1 is (of course) the irresistible Sak Noel - Loca People, which first featured here in September, and has been buzzing round our eardrums ever since:


There will be plenty of omissions, and songs that have completely slipped the memory no doubt, but that is the nature of any Top Twenty.

However, as always, enjoy!!

6 comments:

  1. Fab list! The only song I would have included is the 80's tastic Pete Hammond remix of Kylie's "Put Your Hands up" which went to NUMBER ONE stateside! :) (but I am KM obsessed!) Happy 2012! xoxoMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few songs that I was toying with for the list (Kylie included, as well as Gloria Estefan, Lana Del Rey, Little Boots, Roisin Murphy and LMFAO, among others), but eventually I had to narrow it down to twenty. It is a bloody difficult thing to do when you have a goldfish memory :-)

    Happy New Year, sweetie!!
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crazy kids & your nutty music... now, back in my day they played real music like The Captain & Tennille.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Captain & Tennille. I can't wait to hear Luciana doing a version of their "classic" Muskrat Love... Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent list! My faves on it would have to be Sound Of Arrows, Eric Saade (he should have won!!!), Duran Duran, Jessica 6, Beth Ditto, Will Young and Eastman feat Neve. And of course the amazing Young Professionals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for you to publish your list, sweetie! Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]