Wednesday 1 February 2012

Books and fruit


"We were looking for somewhere central but cheap and I found out that Camden Council had some empty shops in Marchmont Street due to the cancellation of the second phase of the Brunswick Centre.  I applied for the lease of one with no response. I discovered, through a gay friend who worked for the council, that the officers were not taking it seriously – my surname, Hole, being the reason for that."


When, a couple of weeks ago, the magnificent institution that is Gay's The Word bookshop in Bloomsbury celebrated its 33rd birthday with a rather excellent historical article by its founder Ernest Hole (published in the splendid online gay journal Polari Magazine), little did I know this would bring a rather unexpected musical discovery.

For among the reminisces, Mr Hole recalled how the shop would be packed to the gunnels every Thursday in the late 70s/early 80s. This crowd was there to hear a remarkable cabaret performer (and obvious influence on the likes of Kit and the Widow and Topping and Butch) - Mr Mark Bunyan, who is still performing his magnificent innuendo-filled ditties today!

My personal favourite (and if you listen, you'll understand why!) - The Fruit Song:


... and the fab IKEA Song:


Magnificent - I hope to catch him live one day!



Gay's The Word is the UK's pioneering first (and is today the last surviving) lesbian and gay bookshop. It is one of the places every self-respecting gayer simply must visit when in London - meanwhile visit their website.

I will be featuring a few more blogs on the theme of gay history during this, LGBT History Month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]