Sunday 5 February 2012

Brett and Ted's Excellent Adventures continued



We went to the first of our planned LGBT History Month events on Friday evening - the newest outing of The Vinyl Closet, an examination of gay themes, singers and trends in popular music throughout the 20th century.

As this was a fundraiser for the Lesbian and Gay Humanists (GALHA) - an organisation very dear to my heart, staunch as they are in challenging the abuse of power, and the personal abuse inflicted on us (and others), by organised religions - I didn't really mind that this was going to be a repeat (a compilation) of the two instalments I have been to before.

Read my blog about The Vinyl Closet part 1 in 2010

Read my blog about The Vinyl Closet part 2 in 2011

Suffice to say, this was another exceptional evening's entertainment, as the lovely Brett and Ted once more took us on a journey from the earliest innuendo-charged Blues music in 20s America, right through to the fey "is he, isn't he?" teasing of Morrissey in the 1980s. It was all the better because two of our gang had not been to the previous shows, so this was a fabulous eye-opener for them!

Ted has a lovely voice, and again paid fittingly soulful tributes to the likes of Elvis, The Kinks, Tom Robinson and Queen (and, er, Cliff), the musicals The Wizard of Oz, Easter Parade, Hair and The Nervous Set, from which The Ballad Of The Sad Young Men is taken.

So without further ado, I make no apologies for featuring this Shirley Bassey classic once more...


And, just as a twist - here's the magnificent Marc Almond and Antony (of the Johnsons) with their version:


I sincerely hope that next time The Vinyl Closet makes its outing, we get the long-awaited part 3 - from the 80s to date. I have absolutely no doubt Mr Almond will be featured...

The Vinyl Closet

GALHA

LGBT History Month continues throughout February 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]