Tuesday 24 April 2012

Mega-Babs is 70!



Today, the unstoppable force that is Barbra Streisand celebrates her 70th birthday.

Actress, singer, hit movie producer, multi-millionaire and philanthropist, Miss Streisand is indeed a one-woman phenomenon. She one of the few entertainers who have won an Oscar (twice), Emmy (five times), Grammy (eight times), and Tony Award. With more than 140 million albums sold worldwide, very few artists (male or female) are her serious rivals.

As with all such monumentally prolific artists, she has a bit of a mixed bag of a back catalogue - her choice of sugary-sweet material has sometimes been a bit too much for our tastes here at Dolores Delargo Towers. But with such classics as The Way We Were, Enough is Enough, Papa Can You Hear Me?, Evergreen, Guilty (and many more) under her belt we forgive her. Her 1985 Broadway Album is still one of the best of its kind.

And of course, hers is one of our all-time favourite barnstorming numbers. In the world. Ever! The original and the best, it's Don't Rain On My Parade...


Facts about Mega-Babs:
  • Barbra dropped an 'a' from the original spelling of her name when she was 18. She has admitted that she "hated" the spelling but refused to change her name.
  • Always a stalwart supporter of gay rights, when her son Jason Gould came out as a gay man, Barbra said: "Nobody on this earth has the right to tell anyone that their love for another human being is morally wrong."
  • In America, she is the only artist to have had Number 1 albums in five decades from the sixties to the noughties. She has earned 51 gold, 30 platinum and 18 multi-platinum albums. Her 1964 LP People was the first of her eight to top the charts. She also holds the record for the longest gap between a first and last chart-topping album - which currently stands at 46 years.
  • Streisand was director Ken Russell's first choice to play Eva Peron in 1996 film Evita. She declined the role, which was eventually taken by Madonna.

Barbra Streisand website

14 comments:

  1. Another fact I just discovered today... Babs went to high school with Neil Diamond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...AND Neil Sedaka! However none of them actually really met till years later. Jx

      Delete
  2. Never been a fan of hers, I must say. I dont dislike her either - I just cant see the attraction. I tried to watch Yentl years ago - I thought I would hang myself, it was beyond boring (thankfully I managed to turn it off before I was dangling from the ceiling).

    Thank god Ken and Barbie ended up not doing Evita - that role was made for the REAL queen!

    She's had some good tunes though, and I even recently bought a double CD of her best ones (havent played it yet though).

    In any case, a very happy birthday to Barbra - she has of course been an inspiration to an awful lot of people through the years, which is one of the main reasons why she is such an icon. I just might put on that CD soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been a Barbra obsessive either (neither have many of my friends), but as I have probably said before - we have Dame Shirley to fulfil our "belter needs"! Once I saw La Streisand in that godawful film version of Hello Dolly, it was enough to put me off her for years...

      But fair play, Divas will be Divas and we love them for that! Jx

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, Babs! Can't believe she's 70!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and still has her own, hair, teeth - and nose! Jx

      Delete
  4. Steven asked me at the weekend how old Babs was - I was playing Guava Jelly - I looked on Wikipedia and saw that she was due to turn 70 on Tuesday (today) and wondered if you'd be doing a blog to commemorate the milestone.

    I'm glad I saw her live - she was great (if pricey) I was in the "cheap" seats but would go and see her again.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shan't even begin to imagine what "playing Guava Jelly" means.

      According to Paul, who saw her twice (decades apart), her voice is completely stuffed these days... Jx

      Delete
  5. Her voice in 2007 wasn't as great as it would have been 20 years earlier, but she was no Liza in the deterioration stakes either ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guava Jelly - is Babs doing reggae on her Butter-Fly album btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Babs and reggae must be - ahem! - an interesting combination... Jx

      Delete
  7. Way back when, Ken Russell was also in talks with Liza Minnelli to star in Evita. One can only imagine what that combo would have been like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavens! Can you imagine? Where's Christine Pedi when you need her? Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]