Monday 9 July 2012

Look my eyes are dry



And so, farewell then Ernest Borgnine.

Always the watchword for "ugly bloke done good", Mr B was in loads of films over the years, mainly playing the "tough guy". Unsurprisingly he was also remarkably homophobic, speaking out against the award-winning gay movie Brokeback Mountain in 2005.

So why would I feature him? For one reason only - he married our "patron saint" here at Dolores Delargo Towers Miss Ethel Merman in 1964. It lasted 32 whole days.

In a marvellously bitchy and camp gesture, Miss Merman devoted a whole chapter of her memoir to the marriage - it consisted of one blank page!

"Christmas carols always brought tears to my eyes. I also cry at weddings. I should have cried at a couple of my own," she later said.

Miss Merman never married again...

Any excuse, really, to feature the original divine Miss M, here with a most appropriate number (from The Love Boat, of course - well, it is Tacky Music Monday after all!):


Ethel Merman: a brief biography

2 comments:

  1. My eyes are dry indeed.

    I never knew that about Borgnine. But hey any excuse to play Ethel.

    fab video and a perfect choice of song

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]