Tuesday 11 September 2012

We can be Heroes, for ever and ever











Corny, it may be - but yesterday's Olympics/Paralympics celebration parade was just an amazing thing.

Mo Farah, Sir Chris Hoy, Jessica Ennis, the Brownlee brothers, David Weir, Greg Rutherford, Ellie Simmonds, [my future husband] Tom Daley...

Twenty-one floats carrying the best of the best athletes through the centre of London, and a full honours fly-past (including the Red Arrows and the airliner "Firefly" emblazoned with "Thank You" on its base), to the adulation of millions of people (myself, John-John, Julie, Jen, Carol and Rob among them) was an emotional experience I just cannot adequately describe...


Olympics parade - article in The Telegraph

3 comments:

  1. I was amazing and it's hard to put into words why.

    I went down in my lunch-break, ended up getting back to work at 2.45pm and having to stay late to make the time up but it was totally worth it to get front row to see Mo, Tom, Ellie, Greg and Chris Hoy among others

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was just such a huge (and genuine) wave of good will and good feeling that went through the whole Olympics season (sport or no sport), that culminated in the parade. I was dreadfully cynical about it beforehand (as were many people), but yesterday I was genuinely moved and just knew it would have been wrong not to be there... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]