Saturday 24 November 2012

Playing to type



How my mind works, part #397 in a series...

News this week of the demise of typewriter production in the UK prompted me to dig this one out of the vaults!

It's a classic performance of The Typewriter Song (and more besides) by the late, forever-missed, pioneer of the drag queen scene in London - the one, the only, Her Imperial Highness Regina Fong!


We were privileged to see the drag dignitary live at the equally legendary Black Cap in Camden (one of London's longest-serving gay bars) not long before Reg's death in 2003. Drag queens at The Cap still perform an annual Regina Fong Gala as a tribute, and the pub's roof terrace is named in her honour.

I featured early footage of Regina with the Disappointer Sisters (from 1975!) in my tribute to drag queen history back in 2008.

RIP, Regina.

RIP, the Brother typewriter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]