Wednesday 16 January 2013

Come on and hear, come on and hear



It's Ethel Merman's birthday, bitches!

One of our absolute top Patron Saints here at Dolores Delargo Towers, the fabulous Miss Zimmerman could belt out the telephone directory and it would still have more class and panache than any number of what sadly pass for "singers" these days...

To celebrate her 105th anniversary, I have found a real treat. With an added bonus at the end - courtesy of another of our icons Miss Bea Lillie - here Ethel tackles the songs of old Dixie. With her on side, I dare say the southern States might have won the American Civil War!

A Ragtime Melody - Alexander's Ragtime Band, Sweet Georgia Brown, Tweet, Tweet, Tweet, After You've Gone, Way Down Yonder In New Orleans:


Inevitably, I have blogged about Miss Merman many times over the years...

Ethel Merman (16th January 1908 - 15th February 1984)

5 comments:

  1. yes, let us raise a glass to ethel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm popping open the Moet to toast dear old Ethel as we speak! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a revelation. This has to be the liveliest I'v'e ever seen the old girl. Who even knew she could snap her fingers, let alone do a rather stylish cakewalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One gets the sense Miss Merman may be showing off a tad, knowing Miss Lillie is lurking - and perfectly capable of upstaging the great showgal if she lets her... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]