Wednesday 9 January 2013

Mind the gap



Another special anniversary today - happy 150th birthday to London Underground!

Love it or loathe it, The Tube is the most comprehensive and useful transport system in the world. Navigating a city as confusing as London is always a mission - and admittedly there are few experiences as disgusting as being jammed up against a smelly stranger in the morning rush hour - yet without it (in my opinion) the capital would be a far less thriving and a far more anarchic place to live or to visit.

To celebrate, let's take a trip, with the official documentary [2019 UPDATE: gone from YouYube, so instead here's the BBC TV series of special reports] to mark the sesquicentennial of this unique railway network...






And, of course, as this is a celebration - we should "jack" to its sound!


Underground History website.

2 comments:

  1. It is a remarkable system that does, despite everything, really do it's job. I don't think I would enjoy London half as much if it was not for the Underground - no matter where you are in the city, you can pretty much get everywhere, quickly with the system.

    The morning rush is horrible though - the first time I came to London I got stuck in the morning rush with a lot of luggage. It took me days to recover...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In those circumstances, one should always go for a coffee/cigarette/cry in the corner/drink, and wait for the melée to die down before moving on. It's only us serfs on our way to work who actually need to cram ourselves into the "Schindler's List"-type crush... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]