Wednesday 26 June 2013

Georgie Porgie







National treasure and remarkably talented blues and Jazz singer, the super-cool Mr Georgie Fame is 70 years old today!

Apart from being a one-time fixture on the BBC and in the charts in the 60s and 70s, dirty little Georgie was also - scandalously - involved in a love triangle with the British nobility.

Back in 1971 the 9th Marquess of Londonderry divorced his first wife, Nicolette (Nico), who went on to marry Georgie. It turned out that Nico's then 18-month-old son - who was presumed heir to the aristocratic title - was not, in fact, Londonderry's son but was Mr Fame's. To be honest, back in those days who could have blamed her? I had one helluva crush on Georgie Fame myself...





Anyway, this birthday milestone is good enough excuse, if any were needed, to feature a little Pan's People at Dolores Delargo Towers - here are our girls accompanying Georgie (bizarrely, in his nightshirt!), in their own inimitable fashion, on the very funky Seventh Son:


And here's my favourite of Mr Fame's many hits - a fond memory from my childhood - The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde:


Georgie Fame (born Clive Powell, 26 June 1943)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]