Saturday 5 October 2013

Didn't look too good in shorts?







I had a real crush on Russell Mael from Sparks when I was younger.

Today, I find with a shudder that he celebrates his 65th birthday. Lordy.

Sparks was a band that was miles ahead of the rest (with the exception of Bowie or Roxy Music) in innovation - way back in 1974, the Mael brothers' music was already beginning to sound like some of the stuff we came to love in the post-Punk era, and in 1979 their single Beat The Clock carried all the synthesised "hooks" and effects that no doubt influenced the likes of Depeche Mode, Soft Cell and OMD to create the inspirational pop they did in the 80s...


I was born a little premature
Mom just couldn't take no more
Had no time to learn to cry
Goodbye, Mama, got to fly
Bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye, bye

Entered school when I was two
PhD'd that afternoon
Never entered any sports
Didn't look too good in shorts
Got divorced when I was four

I've seen everything there is
I've done everything there is
I've met everyone but Liz
Now I've even met ol' Liz
No time for relationship
Skip the foreplay, let 'er rip
You gotta beat the clock, beat the clock,
Beat the clock, beat the clock

I did lots of travelling
Parts of me unraveling
The Army then rejected me
Said I had two flat feet
Wore them out when I was three

Too bad there ain't ten of you
Then I'd show you what I'd do
I could cheat on five of you
And be faithful to you too
But there's only one of you


The song still stands the test of time - how fab!

PS Russell's the pretty one, not the creepy one with the moustache.

Sparks official website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]