Thursday 10 October 2013

Whisper before I shout



Another timeslip moment. I am not sure exactly where the whole decade has gone since the ex-S-Clubber Miss Rachel Stevens hit the charts with this, her debut hit, but it seems like only yesterday...


If I were in your shoes
I'd whisper before I shout
Can't you stop playing that record again
Find somebody else to talk about
If I were in your shoes
I'd worry of the effects
You've had your say but now its my turn
Sweet dreams my L.A. Ex


Sweet Dreams My LA Ex was another in the list of classics from the powerhouse songwriter Cathy Dennis (the woman behind Britney's Toxic and Kylie's Can't Get You Out Of My Head), yet even this catchy piece of pop fluff was never enough to give Miss Stevens (whose voice is not the - ahem! - most powerful in the business) a long career in the charts. In two years the hits had dried up, and her last notable appearance outside of the lads' mags and gossip columns was as a contestant on Strictly Come Dancing five years ago...

How time flies.

Rachel Stevens official website.

2 comments:

  1. Miss Stevens did have a couple of tracks I liked (I think - names escape me). This one not being one of them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Names Escape Me" might well have been one of her singles, for all I know. I didn't mind this song, but I was definitely never a "Rachel Stevens fan". It's just a remarkable eye-opener that ten whole years have passed since this was released... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]