Sunday 17 November 2013

Choons



Whether it's just that there is a sudden crop of interesting music around, or perhaps I have merely been in the mood for traversing the interwebs for exotica on these dark, dank autumn days, but... here's another round-up of recent choons that have caught my ear, shared for your delectation.

Let us open with a firm favourite - the Swedish artist occasionally known as Bimbo Boy, Dennis Alexis Hellström, whose new duo Eurotix has released I Plead Insanity as its new single. Shades of Vince Clarke-era Depeche Mode or Yazoo, methinks:


Speaking of regularly-featured artists, Aussie duo Parralox has a great new single out - a cover of an old hit by Alan Parsons Project - it's Eye In The Sky:


An electronic band from Scotland, Chvrches has released a sublimely-crafted new single (and video) Lies. I really like this...


In complete contrast, the band behind one of this year's runaway successes I Don't Care (I Love It) Icona Pop's new single is altogether a more poppy, shouty affair - with a terrifically camp video as well. It's All Night:


With an infectious riff that harks back to the classic early 90s house sound of artists like the Nightcrawlers (and a fab video to boot), here's Storm Queen and Look Right Through:


It has sassy ladies dancing in unfeasibly high heels, several exotic costume changes, semi-naked male totty - it's the video for the title song from a new Bollywood block-buster starring Aamir Khan, of course! Dhoom Machale Dhoom is performed by Katrina Kaif, but in true Bollywood style is actually sung by Aditi Singh Sharma:


Speaking of camp - here's a collaboration of fantabulosa fierceness! Thanks (yet again) to the lovely Henry at Barbarella's Galaxy, our lives have been enriched by the marvellous Gomi & Mila Jam. They are indeed Masters Of the Universe:


That track also features contributions from someone by the name of Kayvon Zand. Fearing this might be some "urban" rapper, I investigated. I could not have been more wrong if I tried! Sample for yourself the delights of this magnificent creature, as he takes you on the most incredible One Way Flight...


Finally, another marvellous discovery. Pentatonix is a combo of supremely talented singers, whose acapella versions of modern pop tunes won them all the accolades on American talent show The Sing-Off in 2011. [Shamefully, although their chosen charity on the show was the gay youth crisis support organisation The Trevor Project, the broadcaster NBC chose to edit out any reference to LBGTQ people when the appeal was shown. Piss-poor treatment of a group, two of whose members are gay!] Here they are with their magnificent tribute to synth-dance maestros Daft Punk, entirely without synths:


As always, enjoy - and let me know what you think!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for blogging about Eurotix! Glad you like our single! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome, my sweet! It's great. Jx

      Delete
  2. Another one, and so soon! Why, this gives me the perfect excuse for putting off my studies a bit ;)

    The Eurotix really does remind me of vintage Erasure/Yazoo. Not bad, hope there will be an actual video for this.

    I have tried to like Icona Pop but it is just not happening for me. I'm afraid that this latest offering does nothing to change that. The Penatonix thing is cute, I heard it a few weeks ago but couldn't get through the whole thing. Same thing again today - it's not bad but for some reason it just doesn't work for me.

    The Storm Queen song really does sound like Nightcrawlers (and several other dance acts from the early/mid 90s). Always fun to hear songs that recall the past.

    "Dhoom Machale Dhoom" is really fun and perfect for brighting up a boring Monday. And right now I am blasting "Masters Of The Universe", which I obviously love! And the Kayvon Sand one is rather fun too, great video.

    The Chvrches song is excellent and the same goes for the Parralox cover - these two along with "Masters Of The Universe" and "Dhoom Machale Dhoom" are my favorites of the bunch.

    Thanks for yet another fun selection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - both Icona Pop and Pentatonix are the sort of thing that one is unlikely to want to listen to a whole album of, but I do like both these tracks. Glad you enjoyed "Dhoom Machale Dhoom" - I discovered it quite by accident just the other day and immediately adored it! I am playing it again, just to be sure :-)

      Jx

      Delete
    2. PS Found out why the Storm Queen song sounds so familiar - "MK" is Marc Kinchen, who did indeed remix "Push The Feeling On" for the Nightcrawlers. Jx

      Delete
  3. Not surprising, that song just made me want to listen to Nightcrawlers ;)

    "Dhoom Machale Dhoom" does deserve several repeat plays, me thinks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]