Wednesday 16 July 2014

You on that high-flying cloud



Speaking of "ear-worms", for no apparent reason (apart from the fact that it was played on Radio 2 on the weekend), I have this song stuck in my head today - the Divine Miss M's version of the Rosie Clooney classic Hey There:


No bad thing, I suppose - and it serves to cheer me up as I sit here looking out of the grim windows of my office onto the grim surroundings of the council estate in which we are unfortunately sited - on one of the sunniest, hottest days of the year so far...

Lately when I'm in my room all by myself,
in this solitary gloom I call to myself:

Hey there, you with the stars in your eyes,
love never made a fool of you. You used to be too wise.
Hey there, you on that high-flying cloud,
though he won't throw a crumb to you, you think some day he'll come to you.

Better forget him, him with his nose in the air.
He's got you dancing on a string. Break it and he won't care.

Won't you take this advice I hand you like a mother?
Or are you not seeing things too clear?
Are you too much in love to hear?
Is it all goin' in one ear and out the other?
And out the other?

Hey there, you with the stars in your eyes,
Are you talkin' to me?
love never made a fool of you.
Not until now.
You used to be so wise.
Oh, that was a long time ago.

Hey there,
What?
you on that high-flyin' cloud,
though he won't throw a crumb to you,
you think some day he's gonna come to you.

Woah, better forget him.
Forget him.
He's got his nose in the air.
He's got his nose in the air.
He'll have you dancing on a string.
A puppet on a string.
Break it and he won't care.
He won't care for you.

Won't you take this advice I hand you like a mother?
Or are you not seein' things too clear?
Are you just too far gone to hear?
Is it all goin' in one ear and out the other?


[This song is from The Pajama Game, written by Richard Adler and Jerry Ross. A revival of the musical is currently playing at the Shaftesbury Theatre in the West End - I really should go!]

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is rather fab, isn't it? - as is her Peggy Lee Songbook, too. Jx

      Delete
  2. I agree, both are excellent - I liked them more than I expected, especially the Peggy Lee one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss M is at her very, very best when she does the classics. In fact it's only when she has her mawkish moments that I balk (I don't care if I never hear Wind Beneath My Wings or From a Distance again). Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]