Tuesday 8 September 2015

Socked













And so, farewell then, the lovely Judy Carne.

Born Joyce Audrey Botterill in Northampton, after acting school and a stint on British telly she left to seek her fortune - travelling to the United States in 1962, just ahead of The Beatles and the 'British Invasion'. She briefly married Burt Reynolds, co-starred with the beauteous (but doomed) Pete Duel, and eventually became a household name as the "Sock it to Me" girl on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. Her time after leaving the show was not quite such a "laugh", by all accounts, with periods of addiction and a traumatic car crash, and she eventually retired back home in the UK, where she died last week.

She'll always be the woman who managed to get Richard Nixon to ask America to "Sock it to him", however:



Here's the lady herself, with an odd choice - an Arlo Guthrie anti-establishment ditty disguised as a song-and dance number:


RIP Judy Carne (27th April 1939 – 3rd September 2015)

Read my previous tribute to Miss Carne

2 comments:

  1. as a kid, i loved love on a rooftop. i suppose i liked watching peter as much as i liked judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never transferred over here, as far as I know. As a child, I adored Miss Carne in Laugh In - and Mr Duel in Alias Smith and Jones. I vividly remember my mother trying to explain to me why someone so young and pretty was dead... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]