Wednesday 16 December 2015

A country where the verb "to work" becomes a most improper noun


“I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me”

"It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit."

"Success took me to her bosom like a maternal boa constrictor."

"I love criticism just so long as it's unqualified praise."

"Never mind, dear, we're all made the same, though some more than others."
He was terribly World Weary:


When I'm feeling weary and blue, I'm only too
Glad to be left alone
Dreaming of a place in the sun when day is done
Far from a telephone
Hardly ever see the sky
Buildings seem to grow so high
Give me somewhere peaceful and grand
Where all the land
Slumbers in monotone

I'm world weary, world weary, living in a great big town
I find it so dreary, so dreary
Everything looks grey or brown
I want an ocean blue
Great big trees
Bird's eye view of the Pyrenees
I wanna watch the moon rise up
See the great red sun go down
Watching clouds go by through a windy sky fascinates me
But if I do it in the street every cop I meet simply hates me
Because I'm world weary, world weary
Tired of all these jumping jacks
I wanna get right back to nature and relax

I'm world weary, world weary, living in a great big town.
I find it so dreary, so dreary,
Everything looks grey or brown.
I want a horse and plough, chickens too,
Just one cow with a wistful moo,
A country where the verb "to work"
Becomes a most improper noun
I can hardly wait till I see the great open spaces.
My loving friends will not be there I'm so sick of their damned fool faces
Because I'm world weary, world weary,
I could kiss the railroad tracks,
I wanna get right back to nature,
Assume a horizontal stature,
I wanna get right back to nature and relax.


Sir Noël Peirce Coward (16th December 1899 – 26th March 1973)

2 comments:

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]