Saturday 18 November 2017

Days may be cloudy or sunny



It's turned wet and downright miserable here in London, which did put a damper on Mother's visit today somewhat. I think she enjoyed it, nonetheless.

It also happens to be the birthday of a prodigious lyricist - the man who wrote [among well over 1400 other songs in the Great American Songbook] One for My Baby, Moon River, I Remember You, Jeepers Creepers, P.S. I Love You, Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, Hooray for Hollywood, Something's Gotta Give, Girlfriend Of The Whirling Dervish, Blues in the Night, Fools Rush In, Autumn Leaves, The Waiter And The Porter And The Upstairs Maid, How Long Has This Been Going On?, Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive, Tangerine, Strip Polka, And the Angels Sing, That Old Black Magic, I'm Old Fashioned, Lazy Bones, Too Marvellous For Words, Goody Goody, You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby, Day In Day Out, Skylark...

...and this one!


Very appropriate.



The birthday boy in question is, of course, Mr Johnny Mercer (born John Herndon Mercer, 18th November 1909 – 25th June 1976)

7 comments:

  1. It turned rainy here today too close the evening.....a good night to celebrate the talents of Johnny Mercer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has enough of a Songbook to occupy even the longest nights... Jx

      Delete
  2. God, I love Blues in the Night. And Moon River. I have many of these tunes in books for my saxophone. So many memories.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise you were Cornwall's answer to Raphael Ravenscroft... Jx

      Delete
    2. Ha Ha! I was never any good, but it was fun trying to learn.
      Sx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. A pair of geniuses (or is it genii?)! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]